Attribution to Darren Twa
Attribution to Darren Twa
Darren Twa has developed the teaching and theology about value systems and relationships that I write about at this website. Initially the material was available only in Sunday message audio form.
Darren has authored several books (all available at his website):
- God's Value System
- Emotions: Revealing our Value Systems
- Relationship and ValueSystems
Please read his books. They are better than what I have been able to present here, and more comprehensive.
Darren is pastor at Life Fellowship church.
Quotes from Darren Twa
Darren repeatedly uses simple phrases as teaching instruments. The theology from his work simplifies many aspects of Christianity and yet is extremely practical. These quotes which I have included at places in my writing are original to him.
- "God's value system is sacrificial love for the benefit of others.", "beneficial love for others"
- "God's value system most looks like Jesus on the cross."
- "You can't make people love and you can't make them forgive."
- "All theology is relational."
- "All relationships are based on common value systems."
- "All conflicts in relationship are conflicts over value system."
- "Lying is an attempt to hide your true value system."
- "Lies impair your ability to reason."
- "Sin is choosing a value system."
- "We know that Jesus' Kingdom was not an earthly kingdom because John the Baptist didn't have a shovel." note
- "It is better to be good than to satisfy bodily appetites (have a full tummy), to have people like you (be adored), or to have an earthly kingdom: (power, wealth, control)."
- "God's kingdom has one rule - sacrificial love for the benefit of others. And if you break the rule, the consequence is that you are forgiven."
- "The Gospel is simple. There is a part we believe and a part we do. Everything else is tradition and interpretation."
John was tasked before Jesus with "preparing the way for the Lord, making straight paths for him" (Isaiah 40:3, Matthew 3:3). However John didn't move dirt because Jesus' kingdom was a spiritual kingdom.
Some of these quotes may seem startling. Please read his material or material I have written here at this website to understand what they mean.
The Core Elements of the Gospel
As covered in Darren Twa's book God's Value System, the Gospel is the good news of the Kingdom of God. There are five essential points to the gospel (seen as listed here with some explanation):
- Jesus is both God and man
- Jesus is Lord and King.
- The Kingdom is spiritual
- The Kingdom is established by death and resurrection
- We must adopt God’s value system
The first four are the part we believe, the last one is the part we do. Together, these points contain the gospel.